Supporting intermodal transport solutions in the Adriatic area.
- Priority and Measure
Measure 3.2 - Sustainable Mobility Systems
Priority 3 – Accessibility and Networks
- EUSAIR Pillars
- Blue growth, connecting region
- Type of Project
- Fabrizio Pigini
- Interviewee role
- Project Manager
- Marche Region - Regional road system and Transportation Management department
- +39 071 8063446
- Project website
- Budget in euros
|Role||Name||City||Country||Contact Person||Email / website|
|Lead Partner||Marche Region – Dipartimento Grandi Infrastrutture di Comunicazione, Viabilità e Demanio Idrico||Ancona||Italy||Fabrizio Pigini||Fabrizio.Pigini@regione.marche.it www.regione.marche.it|
|Partner 1||Ancona Port Authority||Ancona||Italy||www.autoritaportuale.ancona.it|
|Partner 2||Marche Freight Village||Ancona||Italy||www.interportomarche.it|
|Partner 3||Levante Port Authority||Bari||Italy||www.aplevante.org|
|Partner 4||CFLI – Consorzio Formazione Logistica Intermodale||Venezia||Italy||www.cfli.it/venezia|
|Partner 5||Port of Igoumenitsa||Igoumenitsa||Greece||www.olig.gr|
|Partner 6||National Technical University of Athens||Athens||Greece||www.ntua.gr|
|Partner 7||Albania Institute of Transport||Tirane||Albania||www.ital.gov.al|
|Partner 8||Luka Bar – Port of Bar||Bar||Montenegro||www.lukabar.me|
|Partner 9||Intermodal Transport Cluster||Rijeka||Croatia||www.shortsea.hr / email@example.com|
|Partner 10||Port of Ploce Authority||Ploce||Croatia||www.ppa.hr|
INTERMODADRIA was a 35-months project which started in October 2012. The general objective was to increase the competitiveness of the short sea shipping and to strengthen the attractiveness of intermodal transport solutions serving the ports and logistics centres in the medium and lower Adriatic area, with particular focus on the integration in the logistics chain of the sea-routes that serve the two shores of the Adriatic and Ionian seas. The project’s specific objectives were the following: a) to increase the integration in the logistics chain of the maritime routes linking the two shores of the Adriatic sea as alternative to road transport; b) to highlight business opportunities coming from the investments in infrastructures for the land accessibility of sea-ports (especially for rail investments); c) to promote policy actions and financial instruments to support intermodal transport solutions; d) to increase the awareness and monitoring capacity of the freight flows; e) to increase the attractiveness of port professional profiles.
What has been done during the project in order to achieve its main goal(s)?
Several actions were taken in order to reach the project’s main goals:
– Freight routes analysis(WP3): the action aimed at highlighting the geographic areas interconnected by the transport flows passing through the ports of the partnership. The increased awareness on the final markets supported the action of logistics operators and institutional policy makers to promote intermodal transport if the freight flows were sufficient and adequate for the characteristics of railways-maritime services.
– Infrastructural analysis (WP4): the infrastructures connecting ports with the hinterlands were analysed in terms of: current situation (i.e.: level of congestion, bottlenecks, planned investment for the improvement of the infrastructures) and through the definition of the maximum level of traffic that they could support. Concerning the rail infrastructure analysis, the output highlighted the availability of “slots” for the activation of intermodal transport services that could link the hinterland with the port.
– Measures to support intermodality (WP5): partners were concentrated in a set of independent but related activities aimed at providing “soft support” to the development of intermodal transport in the ports of the partnership. Activities aimed to simplify the organizational aspect of intermodal transport solution, propose a legislative framework to financially support the modal shift, increase capacity of institutional partners and transfer knowledge, regarding the relevance of human resources in the intermodal chain. Seven career days were organized during the project.
Which are the project main results/impacts?
Result/Impact 1: INTERMODADRIA TRANSPORT MODEL
Development of a transport model in order to simulate the existing situation for MoS Ferry/SSS (Ro-Ro/Ro-Pax) freight traffic and containerised flows in the project’s study area network, consolidate demand characteristics of the multimodal transport routes and provide robust estimations of potential future demand for new intermodal rail-sea transport links between the ports of the partnership, namely the Ports of Ancona, Igoumenitsa, Bari, Durres, Bar and Ploce and their respective hinterlands. The highly sophisticated software modeling tool CUBE (modules Cube Cargo and Cube Highway) was employed, offering a complete solution for modeling commodity flows and predicting changes in travel patterns in response to changes in regional development, demographics, and transport supply, enabling thus a comprehensive analysis at a strategic level.
Result/Impact 2: INTERMODADRIA INFRASTRUCTURE ANALYSIS
The analysis of 6 Adriatic and Ionian ports (Ancona, Bari Levante, Ploce, Bar, Durres and Igoumenitsa) was designed to collect data and information on the state of port infrastructure and port hinterland based on the efficiency of transport activities resulting from the availability, quantity and quality of the existing facilities.
Result/Impact 3: INTERMODADRIA SUPPORT TO INTERMODALITY
Exploring the most efficient and technically and financially viable solutions to concretely promote the shift of freight transport from road to rails has been one of the main objective of the INTERMODADRIA project, administrative, legal, organizational or technical bottlenecks hindering the possibility to develop an intermodal transport service and logistic facilities.
Result/Impact 4: INTERMODADRIA CAREER DAYS AND SUPPORT TO LABOUR MARKET
The INTERMODADRIA partners have focused attention on young people, involving a dense network of educational institutes, and creating networks at local level within the entire project area. Career Days aimed at promoting educational paths, facilitating meetings between young people, enterprises and stakeholders, presenting future trends of the labor market within the Programme area.