InteGRATEd Actions to promote sustainable ToURist development
- Priority and Measure
Measure 2.4 – Sustainable Tourism
Priority 2 - Natural and cultural resources and risk prevention
- EUSAIR Pillars
- Sustainable tourism, environmental quality
- Type of Project
- Serena Mingolla
- Interviewee role
- Project Manager (consultant)
- Municipality of Mesagne
- +39 338 9472358
- Project website
- Budget in euros
|Lead Partner||Municipality of Mesagne||Mesagne||Italy||Teresa Montanarofirstname.lastname@example.org www.comune.mesagne.br.it|
|Partner 1||Municipality of Nardò||Nardò||Italy||Luigi Sicilianoemail@example.com|
|Partner 2||National Tourism Organisation of Montenegro||Podgorica||Montenegro||Biljana Bozovicfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Partner 3||Albanian National Agency for Tourism Development||Tirana||Albania||B. Terkuciemail@example.com|
|Partner 4||CETMA – Engineering, Design and Materials Technologies Center||Brindisi||Italy||Ubaldo Spinafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Partner 5||Chamber of Commerce of Thesprotia||Igoumenitsa||Greece||Ioannis Vrisisemail@example.com|
|Partner 6||Apulia Tourist Operators Consortium||Bari||Italy||Elisabetta Ciccaresefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Partner 7||Local Tourist Organization of Bar||Bar||Montenegro||Sanja Simovićemail@example.com|
|Partner 8||Municipality No 8 of Tirana||Tirana||Albania||ArbenTafajfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Partner 9||Municipality of Durres||Durres||Albania||Ina Xhakoniemail@example.com|
|Partner 10||Municipality of Latiano||Latiano||Italy||Margherita Rubinofirstname.lastname@example.org|
TURGRATE 2 Project aimed to increase international competitiveness of targeted tourist destinations, through the sharing of a new integrated system for the sustainable management of tourist product. This system was based on the improvement of the quality of market-oriented tourist packages, and particularly, on the valorisation, protection and development of natural, rural and cultural resources. The project aimed at developing a new kind of tourism, based on the enhancement of values and cultural identities of the involved territories, in order to attract different typologies of visitors, guarantee a more pleasant and satisfactory stay, giving back value to the natural environment and providing quality services.
What has been done during the project in order to achieve its main goal(s)?
In order to achieve its goals, TURGRATE 2 implemented the following activities:
– organization of local and cross-border meetings, to involve all operators in the creation of a tourist product management cross-border integrated system;
– start-up of 7 Service Centres , providing qualified tourist services to enhance the living standard of the involved communities and start-ups;
– production and positioning of tourist signs to promote local and cross-border resources and services;
– implementation of common tools to improve agro-food and handmade products: analysis of cross-border typical productions, redefinition of typical products pannier of target territories, elaboration of a “Life Cycle Assessment” study for each selected product, completion of management procedure of cross-border collective trademark for selected products (agro-food and handmade typical products);
– identification of pilot reception facilities to be accompanied in Ecolabel/Emas certification process;
– development of an innovative software system to create and qualify a tourist public services network;
– concrete actions for the protection of cultural (rural, artistic and archaeological) resources and heritage and creation of new alternative thematic tourist products;
– implementation of a Cultural Events Programme (art galleries, restoration laboratories, dance and music performances, cultural exchanges) and information, communication and capitalization initiatives to raise public awareness about cultural/natural values and cultural identities.
Which are the project main results/impacts?
Result/Impact 1: ECONOMIC, CULTURAL AND INSTITUTIONAL COOPERATION
Implementation of a methodology of participatory planning for territorial touristic development (20 meetings among tourist chain operators, Agreement Protocols among public & private bodies, creation of a sustainable tourism management programme and of a Cross-border Tourist Development Programme, capacity building activities and sharing of best practices.
Result/Impact 2: QUALITY OF TOURISM AND INTERNATIONAL PROMOTION
Improvement of the quality of tourism supply and demand(creation of a network of 7 Tourist Centres), positioning of 200 tourist signs, innovative IT system to rationalize and qualify tourist public services network, promotion of sustainable tourism with development of 3 cross-border touristic products, enhancement of historical centers in partner countries, organization of cultural events.
Result/Impact 3: VALORIZATION OF CULTURAL HERITAGE AND ADVANCED ICT TOOLS
Protection and valorization of cultural heritage (artistic, environmental, rural and archaeological) with TURGRATE 2 WEB-GIS (http://22.214.171.124:8080/turgrate), virtual tours, n. 14 restoration interventions of cultural, naturalistic and landscape assets, strengthening of competitiveness of target sites through sustainable territorial management and improvement of typical productions (agro-food).
Result/Impact 4: PILOT ACCOMMODATIONFACILITIES AND QUALITY TRADEMARK
Experimentation of environmental sustainability paths for 6 pilot accommodation facilities (3 in Puglia, 2 in Montenegro, 1 in Albania), aimed at achieving EU Ecolabel certifications or EMAS Registrations. The activity represented a best practice and had a positive impact on the involved territories, facilitating the implementation of the acquis communautaire in non EU countries. Creation, management and maintenance of a territorial environmental quality trademark named “AdriFood”.
Result/Impact 5: PROMOTION OF NEW CROSS-BORDER TOURIST PRODUCTS AND OF CULTURAL IDENTITIES
Promotion of sustainable tourism with creation of 3 cross-border tourist products in the cultural/ wine&food/ sportive cycling market (a cross border sustainable cycling route, named “Cycling green paths: the story of a travel to Southeast” was planned and tested in project territories.) Development of cultural liveliness and valorization of historical centers through cultural events.